Alcohol based Sanitizer leads to Burn Injury

The Patient is being treated @Sir Ganga Ram Hospital

New Delhi: Sanitizer, which is essential to prevent COVID infection, caused serious burn to man who is being, treated @Sir Ganga Ram Hospital. The doctor has warned that sanitizers must be handled carefully.

Yesterday night , a 44 years old male from Rewari , Haryana was brought to Sir Ganga Ram Hospital with 35 % bwas cleaning his household things like keys , mobile phone etc . He was in the kitchen area while at the same time his wife was cooking the food in the kitchen. Suddenly, he spilled some sanitizer on his Kurta . The fumes from sanitizer reached the cooking gas and before anybody could react , within moments his Kurta caught fire .

The patient suffered burn injuries on his face, neck , front of chest , abdomen and both hands .

The patient is being treated by Department of Plastic and Cosmetic surgery , Sir Ganga Ram Hospital and his condition is stable .

According to Dr Mahesh Mangal , Chairman , Department of Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery , Sir Ganga Ram Hospital ,“Although hand sanitizers are absolutely essential , we strongly advise that alcohol based sanitizers must be used very carefully. The high ethyl alcohol content in the product–up to 62% in some cases–makes hand sanitizer highly flammable and apt to lead to burns. One should never use sanitizers near fire area or any heating place. It should be used in sufficient quantity and allowed to dry “.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here