Out there are different types of medicines available to cure vertigo. One such medicine is Stemetil. Reading this post would help you to know the effectiveness of stemetil to cure vertigo.
Stemetil is available in syrup, tablets, and injection form. The active ingredient of stemetil is prochlorperazine. Find out more about this here
This medicine is used for two different purposes.
Uses of Stemetil
Stemetil is effective to cure various conditions, such as:
- Preventing and curing feelings of sickness, nausea, and vomiting occurring due to vertigo or any other ailments.
- Relieving vomiting, nausea, and incidents of dizziness or spinning sensations like vertigo associated with Meniere’s disease. It is also useful to cure other inner ear problems like labyrinthitis.
- Short-term management of acute mania
- Long-term management of psychotic disease like schizophrenia
- Short-term management of severe anxiety
- Preventing and treating feeling of vomiting and sickness due to any reason or cause
How Does Stemetil Function?
A person suffering from vertigo or dizziness can consume stemetil syrup, injection, or tablets.
The medicine can be used in psychiatric disease, prochlorperazine, which is sometimes described as a major tranquilizer or neuroleptic. It works by obstructing dopamine receptors in the brain. It is a natural compound known as a neurotransmitter and is engaged in transmitting messages between cells of the brain.
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter known to regulate behavior and mood amongst the other things. Psychotic illness and specifically schizophrenia are caused by overactivity of dopamine in the brain. It blocks the receptors that dopamine functions on, and this prevents the dopamine of the brain to act over actively. This helps to regulate the psychotic illness.
How is it effective in curing vertigo?
Stemetil can help relieve the symptoms of vertigo, such as vomiting and nausea. However, it is not used to cure vertigo. The medicine controls vomiting and nausea and is controlled by an area of the brain known as vomiting center.
This vomiting center is responsible for creating feelings of nausea or sickness and vomiting reflex. It gets activated when it receives nerve messages from another part of the brain known as chemoreceptor trigger zone or CTZ and when it receives messages from the gut.
Important Facts about Stemetil
Before you decide to take stemetil to cure vertigo, it is vital to consider some important facts about this medicine.
- Stemetil may cause drowsiness.
- It is advised to avoid drinking alcohol while undertaking treatment with stemetil as it may encourage drowsiness.
- Stemetil can occasionally lead to blood pressure to reduce when you shift from sitting or lying down position, especially when you first consume this medicine. This might make you feel unsteady or dizzy. To avoid this, you need to get up slowly.
- Furthermore, consuming stemetil on a regular basis would make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Hence, you must avoid exposing your skin to direct sunlamps or sunlight until you know how your skin reacts.
- In rare conditions, it can cause serious contact skin sensitization in individuals who regularly handle the medicine. For such reason, you must avoid any unwanted contact of medicine to the skin.
- Consuming stemetil without supervision can affect the potential of the body to regulate core body temperature. This is a more common situation in elderly,andit is essential to avoid situations, which can result in dehydration or overheat.
How must Stemetil be taken for Vertigo?
Be it stemetil or any other medicine for vertigo one must consume it only after recommendations and suggestions from the doctor.
Vertigo is a disorder that is caused by different causes and problems. It is not an illness in itself rather the symptom of an ailment. The disorder can be alleviated only after treating the cause behind it. Taking medicine without determining the cause of the problem can result in severe side-effects and can worsen the situation for the patients. For such reasons, the doctors strictly recommend getting a proper diagnosis done before consuming this medicine.
Hence, if you are a vertigo patient and wish to consume stemetil or any other medicine to cure it, it is suggested first to get a proper diagnosis done, determine the root cause of the problem, and then strictly follow the treatment plan as suggested by your doctor.