WHO is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system.
It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
Post : Mental Health Consultant (coordination) – (2204027)
Overview of the programme
WHO India Country Office collaborates with the Government of India and relevant stakeholders within the framework of the collaborative Country Cooperation Strategy (CCS), to actively support the development and implementation of national health policies, strategies and plans aiming at promoting access to and utilization of affordable and quality health services and improving financial protection against health-related risks.
WHO Country Office for India is supporting the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare to strengthen the existing health systems to cater to the growing needs of mental health and substance abuse.
Description of Duties :
The purpose of this position is to provide strategic technical support to the WHO NCD Team in supporting the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in taking forward the agenda of mental health and substance abuse.
The support entails technical advice at policy level, with guidance at implementation level. Stress is being laid on mental health promotion and psychosocial support in emergencies.
WHO India is supporting the Government of India to strengthen the existing health systems and build back better.
The incumbent will support in coordination, planning, and implementation of activities, in consultation with WCO India NCD team and respective programme divisions of MoHFW.
The incumbent will work under the overall guidance of the WHO Representative, Deputy Head of WHO Country Office for India, direct supervision of National Professional Officer (Mental Health and Substance Abuse) and overall supervision of Team Leader – (Noncommunicable Diseases).
S/he will have the following responsibilities in her/his assigned area of work:
• Facilitate policy support as needed for enabling planning, implementation, monitoring & evaluation of the essential components of the National Mental Health Programme / District Mental Health Programme/Survey/Research
• Liaise with national, state, and/or district level authorities and key non-health partners inter alia to enhance commitment for mental health promotion, early detection, and appropriate management of mental health disorders
• Ensure policy coherence and implementation synergies with ongoing initiatives of the Government, including the implementation of the Mental Health, Neurological and Substance Use (MNS) disorders package at the Health and Wellness Centres under Ayushman Bharat
• Support in monitoring the progress of District Mental Health Programme in the States/UTs as indicated in their Programme Implementation Plan
• Provide technical support in developing and establishing quality monitoring system for important mental health trainings and implementation of activities
• Develop reports and strategic documents required for information and decision making by the MoHFW
• Documentation for office procedures and parliament questions
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor(s).
Essential: University degree in biosciences/social sciences or equivalent in related field from a recognized institution/university.
Desirable: Post graduation in public health/psychology/social work or other allied fields.
Functional Skills and Knowledge : Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and working knowledge of local language will be an asset. Proficiency in computer applications and ability to draft reports.
Experience : Essential: At least two years of professional experience of working with health department at the State/Central Government. Prior experience of policy formulation, technical assistance to the States/UTs in planning, monitoring, and evaluation of health programmes.
Desirable : Working experience with intergovernmental agencies at the national and state level will be an advantage.
Remuneration : Monthly remuneration is INR 141,402 taxable as per Indian laws and the appointment will be through Special Services Agreement (SSA) extendable subject to satisfactory performance and continuing need for the function.
S/he could be posted anywhere in India as per the Project needs. The position may require extensive travel (can be upto 15 days in a month) to the states and districts.
Location : India-New Delhi
Last Date : May 30, 2022, 3:29:00 AM